Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The real story behind the ranting of the Daily Sentinel's and their false claims...

Last year, Colorado voters rejected the one-party rule in Denver and opted for greater collaboration in policy making by giving Republicans control of the state Senate. I’m honored to serve as the State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee and I take that role seriously. The committee maintains a majority of members who reside outside the Denver-metro area, including the Vice Chair, Senator Jerry Sonnenberg, who represents most of the Eastern Plains. Together, we bring a focus and a perspective from our rural areas.

Clearly, the Editorial Board’s accusation that I and Senator Sonnenberg failed our rural constituents is out of bounds. I’ve made clear my concerns about improving our economy and getting our rural residents back to work.

I was anxious to hear Sen. Kerry Donovan’s bill and its goal of improving rural economies. Unfortunately, I believe the $2 million allocated from the state government to local governments fell short.

As I walk my district and meet with rural, small businesses, they want government out of the way, not a handout. We heard from local and county governments, who stood to benefit from these grant funds, that they all supported the measure. And while they made persuasive arguments and I empathize with their challenges, I didn’t hear any support from the private sector, chambers of commerce or local business owners stating this is an appropriate use of taxpayer money.

Fact is, Senator Donovan’s bill would have expanded the role and size of government. And while it may have some immediate benefits, business owners still struggling to pay their taxes, healthcare and energy costs would be on the hook for future costs of this program and its new employees.

I’m happy to work with Senator Donovan to identify ways to support and stimulate our rural economies, but this wasn’t the right way.

The Sentinel’s editorial board is entitled to its opinion on the bill, but its attacks and accusations that this was driven by partisan politics are blatantly unfounded. Mesa County voters deserve a thorough discussion on policies debated at the capitol, and for this legislation, the Sentinel failed to deliver and resorted to the failed partisan attacks of the past.
https://chumly.com/n/2a3d466

No comments:

Post a Comment